Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Spring 2011
It has been a really busy time for your Accessions Committee. The after the holidays lull has become an avalanche of donated items. Laura Pellior has been appointed the Membership Chairperson. Marilyn Fernald has created a new exhibit in the main Schoolhouse exhibit room and keeps Bruce Arnett busy with creating the background for the scene. Everyone pitches in on whatever project needs doing: filing, identifying photos, photo scanning, typing reports, and thank you notes.
We've also had a number of visitors doing research. For those that wish to do research, we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library on Wednesday morning. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific areas. A $20.00 donation is required by the e-mail and regular mail requests. Plus, if you want to know what is happening or view the latest and oldest photographs visit: http://www.29palmshistorical.com http://www.29palmshistorical.com/
- Toledo Wright Scale originally owned by Sam Kodish for use at his Desert Auto Parts and Hardware on Adobe Rd. Used for weighing nails, bolts, plaster, etc. Donated by Marilyn Fernald.
- Various newspaper clippings various 29 Palms Emblem Club #395 programs, and a typed one page Report on the 92 Palms Hospital Guild's Booster Club, the club's General Meeting minutes from June 1964 through March 31, 1965. These items were left on front porch.
- Twenty Monument High School Yearbooks from 1989 through 2010.
- Wooden Plaque with brass plate. Engraved writing states: Morongo Unified School Board Recognition Program in Support of Board of Educational Goals. February 1991 Jack Dempsey Superintendent. The last two listing donated by Monument High School.
- An RCA Victor 45 record featuring "The Lady From Twentynine Palms" by Freddy Martin and his orchestra.
- Cardboard milk bottle seal from White Top Dairy.
- Milk bottle, one quart, has Raw Milk Grade A printed on one side.
- Action Council Mural Print: The Marines. It's Number 40 of 150.
- May Day 1946 Commemorative Mustache Cup.
- Landscape painting by Jean Crowl in 47-1/2" x 37" frame.
- Newspaper clippings, photographs, two "I Like 29 Palms" buttons.
- Five 3" diameter roll audio tapes. Subject unknown, but they are thought to contain oral interviews. Items 5 through 12 are from the Walter Crowl estate and donated by Paul Crowl.
- To Fly the Gentle Giants by J. Norman and signed by author. Published June 2009. Donated by author.
- California Copy by Charles F. Weeks, published by Washington College Press 1928. Donated by Jeff Ohlfs.
- Two purple glass small stepped bowls.
- Purple glass desk set that has two ink wells and two slots for pens.
- Purple glass toothpick holder with the word France emblazed on the side.
- Purple glass plate with ribbed design. The purple glass is from the Betty Holmes Estate. Donated by Cathy Shadowens.
- Antique schoolroom maple desk with wrought iron sides. Donated by Lori K. Gomer through Tamma Bibb of Tamma's Magic Mercantile.
- Supplementary Graded Teaching Pieces pub. by The Boston Music Co., Twentynine Palms Days written by Marilyn Holmes Hale, her second grade report card signed by teacher and Principal Olive M. Hardy. Donated by Marilyn Holmes Hale.
- Historic resource study a history of land use September 1983 Joshua Tree Monument.
- General Management Plan Development Concept Plans Environmental Impact Statement Joshua Tree National Park. Items 21 and 22 published by U. S. Department of Interior and donated by Robert and Edith Carter.
- BLM Wilderness Areas National Park Preserve October 1994 Maps and Information U. S. Department of Interior Bureau of Land Management.
- Special Park Guidelines Joshua Tree National Par, Special Park Uses Guidelines 1995. Approved by Ernest Quintana 7-28-95. Signed by Ernest Quintana, Superintendent.
- Individual Wilderness Area with maps. Items 23 through 25 donated by Robert and Edith Carter.
- Large oval Restaurant sign. Welcome to Bee Jays Kitchen and Today's Special underneath. These were painted in large yellow letters on the blue background. One half of the sign leaves room for the special or specials to be written. Donated by Greg Mendoza.
- DVD Native Clays The Magic of Paddle and Anvil Pottery featuring Tony Soares 2008. Film and music running time one hour and 18 minutes. Donated by Pat Rimmington.
- John Statton family photo album. Donated by Little Church of the Desert through Cheryl Erickson.
- Images of America Needles authored by Linda Fitzpatrick and James M. Conkle, 2010. Pulished by Arcadia Publishing Co.
- Images of America The Marines At Twentynine Palms authored by Thomas Q. O'Hara pub. 2007 by Arcadia Publishing Co. Items 29 and 30 donated by the Twentynine Palms Historical Society.
- Two purple glass juice glasses.
- Brass desk set with silver finish and silver lead pencil. Decorative scroll work on inkwell lid and set. Last two items from the Betty Holmes Estate and donated by Marilyn Holmes Hale.
- Grimms Fairy Tales published by Grosset & Dunlap 1965.
- Anderson's Fairy Tales written by Hans Christian Anderson and published by Grosset & Dunlap 1965.
- Black Beauty written by Anne Sewell published 1963 by Grosset & Dunlap.
- Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates by Mary Mopes Dodge. Published 1963 by Grosset & Dunlap. The four children's books donated by Cindy Widdall and are now in the original old Schoolhouse.
We are thankful for the donations from Monument Alternative High School as we did not have of their year books. An extra thanks to Ms. Ambrosius for her assistance. The Monument High School Yearbooks are available for viewing at the Old Schoolhouse Museum. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area. Thanks to all of you.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | Book Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2017 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com